4.01.2008

Jack's first road trip

This last weekend, Brent and I went home to New Mexico to bless Jackson. With much consideration we decided to leave in the evening hoping Jack would sleep most the way since his bedtime is fairly early anyway. So Wednesday I got everything packed and ready to go so we could leave soon after Brent coming home from work. Everything went as good as expected traveling with a two month old. Jack didn't cry, however he didn't sleep either. He was wide awake when we arrived in Farmington at 2:30 in the morning. That's when the problems started! So I already mentioned what time we got in, well we didn't get to sleep until 5:30! For anyone who knows me, sleep is a priority and an absolute necessity for me to first of all- function, and second of all-be happy. Seriously I treasure my bed time. Oh I forgot to say that on the way down I started to get a sore throat, nothing big. The next morning I definitely felt sick, I had a bit of a fever and a worse sore throat. Jack was hardly rested so he was extremely grumpy, and I could tell he wasn't feeling well. I was so sad for my family to meet him for the first time and not see him his happy self. It was still fun showing him off, but it was stressful because he was pretty fussy. ahhh! Later that evening Jack was feeling really hot so we took his temp and it was over 100 degrees F. We decided to take him to an after hours medical clinic, where they told us he probably picked up some bug, and instructed us on what to do: take Tylenol. Genius! ( no, that's not fair they were really helpful.) Okay so where are we now? sick mom, sick baby, and yep you guessed it sick daddy. Later that night getting into bed Brent started feeling bad too-this vacation wasn't turning out so fun. I can't complain too much, I mean I had felt worse before and I was determined to still do things and enjoy mi familia; but it was hard. They all helped soooo much, from my mom and dad getting up in the night and Nona and grandpa(Brent's parents) watching him for an afternoon to my sister changing his diaper. Thanks guys! We blessed him on Sunday in my parents ward, it was beautiful. Brent did such an amazing job; I am so grateful to Brent for being who he is and being able to bless our son. It was great to have so much family there and be able to share that with them. I wanted to post a picture of Jack in his blessing outfit but I don't know how to get it off the camcorder, perhaps later. So to sum it all up, our first road trip didn't go how we had hoped but hey it could have been a lot worse, and of course Monday morning, the day we left for Utah we all were in tip top condition!

13 comments:

Lindsay said...

Oh man! What a bummer, I hate getting sick, especially when something fun is going on. Well he sounds like he's a good little guy, I hope you get some sleep!

Anonymous said...

That must have been a crazy experience. How are you doing? Your a MOMMY!! I can't believe it. I must say I hate the no sleep thing. Hate it. I have had it pretty bad with Deacon. He is 6 months old and still wakes up at least every three hours to eat in the night. How was your delivery. How are you adjusting? I am sure that you are just an awesome mom. Your little guy (jack) is so stinken cute.

Bryce and Amy said...

Glad to hear you guys are better. Hope you had fun on your trip still. Did he sleep at all on the way home?

carrie said...

Hi!! First of all, THANK YOU so much for the sweet comments you left me on my blog. It meant a lot to me. You're so stinking cute...and I would love to get to know you better!! (especially when you live TWO doors down from me!! ha ha) I'm glad Jack can finally fit in that little outfit!! I would love to see it on him.... Secondly, how neat that you got to take him to be blessed around family. Isn't it such a neat experience?? It really makes you appreciate your husband being able to do that. It's such a blessing. Hope everyone is feeling great now!! Doesn't it just stink to be sick?? I'm telling you, I can't wait for warm weather.... Please let me know if you ever need anything!! I'm serious.... I would love to help you out. Thanks again for being so nice. I hope you don't mind if I keep snooping on your blog. :o)

Laurel said...

At least the silver lining here is that little Jack wasn't screaming bloody murder for half a day in a confined car, right? I can't wait to see pictures!

Stephanie said...

Major bummer, I hate getting sick away from home, not to mention being sick and having sick kids. I am glad the blessing turned out well.
I didn't know you where from New Mexico. Both of my parents are from New Mexico and that is where the majority of my family lives too.

Annie said...

Oh man! You gotta hate when you are looking forward to something and then an illness comes! I tend to stay up the whole night before a vacation trying to make the house perfectly spotless before we go that the first day of vacation is ruined because I am so pooped! You'd think I could learn...NO! I am glad that you had family around to help out though!I am anxious to see the pictures of him when you figure it out! He's so cute!

Heidi J. said...

Oh I am so sorry!! that is no fun when your baby is sick. at least you had your family.let me know if you need anything. ok

Andrea said...

Having a baby along for a trip is hard enough, but having a sick one while on vacation really sucks! Sorry for the bummer trip, atleast you felt better for the ride home!

Heather said...

I'm so glad you guys got to have your family all there for Jack's blessing (though I'm a little sad we missed it - I'll bet it was awesome!). Having a sick kid is awful - I hate feeling helpless, y'know? I remember the first time Max got sick, it was so nerve-wracking for me. At least the nursing gives him antibodies and stuff so he gets better faster. Okay, I'm totally rambling. Anyway, I'm glad everyone's feeling better!

Alicia said...

I am still sad we couldn't go. Responsibility=BOO!
Anyway, I'm sorry you all got sick. That blows. Post some pictures soon-- I have to see what my son's best friend looked like in his blessing outfit!

Rebecca said...

I had a blast last weekend! You did a good job being fun! Wish I could have helped you more- like with his bath, but you're more experienced than me now, and he didn't really want one!! If that was fussy, then you've got it made, he was so good! (Of course I wasn't the one taking care of him):)

Mary said...

Markelle. I'm sorry you guys were sick. Of course that would happen, right? I'm glad you guys got there safely and were still able to spend time with your family. And bless your sweet baby. What a memory you will have to look back on. I'm adding you to my blog if that is ok. I love your mother teresa quote too. I love that I'm getting to know you better. You're amazing!