5.18.2009

Ogden halfer

This past weekend me and a couple of friends ran the Ogden half marathon. I know that I am fairly new to races but I REALLY recommend the Ogden race. For one the course is mainly downhill AND its gorgeous! The race takes place down a canyon (one that probably has a name) with streams, a lake, trees and a couple of waterfalls--sure beats running downtown Phoenix. As calm and serene as this race sounds it was anything but about twenty minutes BEFORE the race as we were driving to the start line hoping (well most of us were hoping) we wouldn't miss it! I am not sure what went wrong, I guess it just took a little longer than I thought to get there and and I desperately needed to go twosies. (I know! but I need you all to understand the anxiety I was feeling) So we were late and I had bathroom issues. We get there, everyone is ready and just waiting for the horn to start the race while Amy, Michelle and I come frantically running. All of a sudden I realize I freakin forgot to put my timing chip around my ankle and it is now being carried away by Shad (our driver) in his vehicle. I run to Michelle grab her phone, run to Amy to get Shad's number, she doesn't know it, ahhh! so I run back to Michelle return her cell and run back to the start with Amy. (Michelle was running a little later in a relay) Yeah, so pretty much I looked like a crazy person running back and forth while the spectators, horn blower and Ogden crew watched. Even though its still frustrating I forgot my chip, it probably wasn't THAT big of a deal. I mean its not like I was trying to qualify for anything--I just wouldn't have an official time. Needless to say I was PISSED! Definitely said some choice words and Amy said she was afraid to talk to me. Good thing she was around because she did talk to me and did make me feel better. I just hate being rushed, and forgetful with no bathroom breaks! As it turned out, the race was a PR (personal record) so it wasn't a total disaster. Plus remember the whole no bathroom break? well I ended up stopping at the ole porta john. The line took forever (well, 5 min.) but I still did better than before so what am I complaining about? This was the day before the race at the expo where you pick up your bib, TIME CHIP and other free stuff...of course Amy and I wanted ice cream but we were about to go to dinner so we got the "itty bitty cone" (yes that was the real name) for .75 Cents and yes it was indeed itty bitty:) It always feels good to be done especially with creamie and jamba juice in hand ahhh, short shorts girl. This gal was running in front of us for some of the race and seemed to always be bending over...just so happened that after the race as we were recouping, what do you know short shorts is bending over and we got the pic to prove it.

10 comments:

Alicia said...

WHO bends over like that!!! Seriously, dude. Weird AND hilarious. Glad you guys got a pic of the lack of shorts and ice cream.
I am so proud of you two for doing something I'd never do. You rock!
Also... the image of you having to twosie before the race is awesome!

Scott and Megan said...

wow--way proud of you markelle!!! I am so impressed and I am now singing the nair commercial song in my head "we wear short shorts, nair for short shorts..." Please tell me you are old enough to remember that commercial if not, feel free to delete this comment! i am excited to see what Jackson does at the beach house this year!!!:)

Dave and Alisha said...

Oh my this is the funniest story.. just cause I know how you are when your rushed or pissed so the combo is super funny! (if you are watching) anyway sounds like you had a good time and did well are you going to try again next year? Im sure I will be there so let me know. and if you want to there are a few other races this summer if your intrested let me know and maybe we can do them together:)

Stephanie said...

3 questions...

1. how did you get so gorgeous?
2. how can you run w/out peeing your pants?
3. where do you think I can get shorts like that?

Way to go! I have always wanted to be a runner, but turns out I am lazy...who knew.

Veronica and TJ said...

I am jealous. Haha some day I will get my butt in shape enough to do something like that, or... maybe I wont:) Congrats on beating your personal best, very cool.

Laurel said...

You are amazing! Seriously. Anyone who can run in ANY version of a marathon without quitting after the first mile deserves a medal. Congratulations! And as for those short shorts? I just have to ask "Why?".

Tara said...

What's wrong with short-shorts? I wear them all the time to show off my cellulite-it's very attractive and Maurice can't keep his hands off of me! Congrats on being freakin awesome. I'm still working on getting in shape for my 5K on the 4th of July. Hopefully I won't kill or embarass myself!

Trey said...

Wow! I barely made it in time to wish you a happy Birthday! Congrats on the run! Can't wait to see you this weekend. This is Meshan btw and not your bro.

Unknown said...

HAHAHAHAHA I'm so glad you took a picture. And it doesn't even look like you were trying to hide the fact that you were taking one...she looks like she wanted people to take pictures...

Unknown said...

Markelle I can't believe you posted the pic of me bending over in my shorts!!