8.12.2008

"Only the good die young..."

Today is Anne-Marie Jean Valencia's birthday, she would have been 24. Unfortunately Anne-Marie never made it past 20--she died in a car accident in 2004. Anne-Marie was and I suppose still is my best friend...isn't she beautiful? This is the best picture I have of her on my computer. I have so many prints of her but very few digital ones.
Anne-Marie and I go way back, clear to our dancing days when we were toddlers, then on to the soccer field as team mates. She had a crush on my brother and he happened to coach our team one year. He was her inspiration to finish the runs we had to do at the end of each practice:) Even though we knew each other way back when, we didn't really become bosome buddies till high school. It's funny because as I sit here typing so many memories are flooding my mind--that is why I am posting about her, because I don't want to ever forget anything! AND I know she would want me to talk and laugh often of her. I know her well enough that she would never want to be forgotten.
Just to tell you a little bit about her: she loved garage sale-ing, shoes, music, hanging out with friends, sushi, whitening her teeth, hot pickles (yep the ones in the bags), the playstation 2, driving in her Jeep with the top off, and afrin. She was obsessed with eyelash curlers, (I think her mom counted 12? when cleaning out her pantry) washing her face, and vaseline. She always had money and chapstick coming out of her pant pockets and was extremely disorganized. some how in her madness she was able to get the job done and well. Above all else she was so fun to be around and her energy was addicting. Anne-Marie was just hilarious!
Anne-Marie was such a good friend to me. She was loyal and super thoughtful. She was always thinking of me and helping with anything. Because of her today I try to be a better friend. We were going to live together when we were old and gray...in a house full of turtles, not cats. We wanted to be the creepy old turtle ladies that the neighbor kids were afraid of. I am so lucky that I knew her and so well. Some of my best memories are with her and it pains me that they have stopped, I miss her a lot and not one day goes by that I don't think of her. That is the best way I can think of honoring her. I seriously LOVE this girl...
oh, some of her former alias' include Henry, Rosa, and Annie

9 comments:

Mary said...

She is beautiful! It is tragic that we have to lose the ones that we love, but how beautiful you are to remember her this way. I love the little details you remember and cherish about your friend. You are a great person!

carrie said...

What a beautiful post!! I, too, loved the detailed memories you wrote about. I know what you mean about wanting to always remember....and not forget anything. I feel that way about people I've lost, too. It breaks my heart when I search my mind for some piece of a memory and I can't get it. (if that makes sense...) You're good to write your memories down. I need to follow your advice. :o) You are such a great person...and obviously a wonderful friend. I could only hope my friends would remember things like that about me. :o)

Andrea said...

What a great post. I love that you wrote about her and remember your memories. The turtle thing is hilarious :) There is always some weird old person in the neighborhood, it might as well be you!
I think your awesome and very thoughtful just like your friend, no wonders you guys got along!

Lindsay said...

She IS beautiful! I am so sorry about your loss. You are awesome for honoring your friend this way.

Alicia said...

Markelle, this is awesome!
I'm sad I never met her and I'm sure I would love her like you do. I think it's great you are honoring her this way. I'm sure she's loving every minute of it. :)
Love you!

Heather said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your friend - someone dying at such a young age just flat-out sucks. She sounded like a lot of fun. I loved all the little details. The turtle one is so funny - my best friend and I always joked that she'd be the cat lady and I'd be the unmarried geneaology aunt - wow, you've really made me want to reconnect with some of my old high school buddies, and that in itself is a way of honoring such a good friend.

Stephanie said...

Sounds like she was lucky to have you as a friend. I loved reading all the wonderful things you remember about her.

Rebecca said...

Anne-Marie had such a vibrant and invigorating spirit! I miss her too! She was so beautiful and would love it if I mentioned that that picture doesn't really do her justice. I miss her for you too Markie, I know she couldn't wait to be Aunt Henry. I bet she could really make Jack laugh!

Anonymous said...

What a great thing for you to do to remember her. How thoughtful of you Markelle, your a wonderful person.